The first observations I had when I started visiting Austria a couple of years back is the emphasis on homemade food items and local produce. Austrians are generally not big exporters of their local produce, so if you manage to get your hands on some of these during your next trip, don't hesitate to stock up :)
- Homemade elderberry syrup: Best enjoyed with cold sparking water in the summer (and that means every day in Singapore).
- Homemade jams: Every household seems to have a stockpile of supply of seasonal jams. All natural.
- Pumpkin seed oil: A nutty salad dressing, culinary speciality of Styria (Austria). Not many people know about this very special oil. It tastes amazing with a simple tomato salad, along with a generous dose of balsamic vinegar.
- Austrian wine: The Austrians don't export a lot of their wine (keeping all for themselves?), so it's always a little extra special to bring a few back. Also don't forget to get a few Italian Brunellos and Barolos at less than a fraction of the price in Singapore.
- Forest honey: Comes in huge jars, and you'll usually be able to find a local producer. Can't go wrong.